COMMUNICATION VIA CLASS DOJO
Dear Clavering Families,
Communicating with families through Class Dojo
We are very excited to invite you to join us in our new venture with Class Dojo which will be aimed at increasing contact between Clavering teachers (and other members of staff) and families who choose to participate, particularly those who are still having to home-school their children.
Class Dojo has never been used with families at Clavering; however, now that the significant majority of Clavering teachers are working in school, we are introducing Class Dojo as a communication system between families (particularly those at home) and Clavering teachers. Whereas normally communication would mostly be outwards (i.e. teachers out to families) we are expecting during this period of home-schooling for communication to be largely inwards (i.e. families in to teachers who will then respond).
What we are hoping to create is something similar to what we have been offering through our various Twitter accounts, but with direct contact with teachers. The use of our Twitter accounts during lockdown has been absolutely fantastic for the many families who have been involved with this initiative and we still want it to continue; however now, with most teachers being back in school, we can also offer direct communication with class teachers.
In order for this to work, we need Clavering families to download the Class Dojo app onto any device they wish to (https://www.classdojo.com/download/) and/or use Class Dojo through the Class Dojo webpage. Only sign up for the free version.
On Wednesday 3rd June, we will be emailing out invitations (using the email address that you provided when completing our online increasing capacity questionnaire) to Clavering families with a hyperlink that is required to join your child’s class / your children’s classes.
Although there may be some teething problems to begin with, using Class Dojo is relatively intuitive and for families who are used to sharing messages and media (e.g. photographs and videos) via tools like iMessage and WhatsApp, it will be very straightforward.
Classes have been broken down as follows:
- Current 6JB and 6CP pupils will join a class called ‘Year 6 Cohort’ (overseen by Mr Patterson and Mrs Bellamy);
- Current 5RT pupils will join a class called ‘6CP’ (overseen by Mr Patterson and Mrs Thèbé) because we can confirm that Mr Patterson will be their class teacher next year;
- Current 4LH pupils will join a class called ‘5JB’ (overseen by Mrs Bellamy and Miss Williamson) because we can confirm that Mrs Bellamy will be their class teacher next year;
- Current 4TW pupils will join a class called ‘5RT’ (overseen by Mrs Thèbé and Miss Williamson) because we can confirm that Mrs Thèbé will be their class teacher next year.
All other year groups will communicate with their current class teacher:
- Current 3LJNL pupils will join a class called ‘3LJNL’ (overseen by Miss Leighton);
- Current 3JR pupils will join a class called ‘3JR’ (overseen by Miss Rowntree);
- Current 2JT pupils will join a class called ‘2JT’ (overseen by Miss Taylor);
- Current 2SW pupils will join a class called ‘2SW’ (overseen by Mrs Weightman);
- Current 1AR pupils will join a class called ‘1AR’ (overseen by Miss Richardson);
- Current 1KS pupils will join a class called ‘1KS’ (overseen by Miss Sutheran);
- Current RKC pupils will join a class called ‘RKC’ (overseen by Mrs Corr);
- Current RAO pupils will join a class called ‘RAO’ (overseen by Mrs Ord);
- Current Nursery pupils will join a class called ‘Nursery’ (overseen by Mr Savage).
In addition to the teachers who will be overseeing the pages, Mr McAvoy (on behalf of the leadership team) will also have access to each class. This will also give a direct communication tool for all activities linked to our PESSPA Programme.
At the moment, we only have one email address per child from the online questionnaire. If you would like other parents and potentially grandparents to access the class(es), please email Mr Patterson with the relevant email address(es): firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you don’t receive an email tomorrow, it may be because the email address was typed incorrectly on the online increasing capacity questionnaire; if this happens, please email Mr Patterson so that we have your correct email address.
We must emphasise that, obviously, class teachers aren’t on call 24 hours a day to respond to messages and, although parents can send messages at any point during the day, class teachers will only be notified of them between 8:00am and 5:00pm. Also, although pupils can use Class DoJo with their families (and we want this to happen), communication must come through the parent’s/parents’ account(s), not the child’s/children’s.
We hope you are as excited as we are about the prospect of successfully and safely using Class Dojo to revolutionise communication between Clavering staff members and families and we thank you in advance for your support with this new venture.
Best wishes and stay safe,
Mr N. McAvoy and Mr C. Patterson
Clavering Leadership Team